It’s time for the local American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life event. This is an overnight community celebration where groups of friends, families, neighbors and coworkers form teams to walk or run around a track, to raise spirits, awareness and funds to fight cancer through American Cancer Society research, education, advocacy and patient & family services.
Cancer survivors from the Linn County area are invited to walk the last lap of the American Cancer Society Relay For Life to celebrate their victory over cancer. The event and Survivors Lap will be held at Kirkwood Community College. Each cancer survivor will receive a free T-shirt, specially selected gift and ribbon to wear while walking the track. There is no cost to participate. Cancer survivors can call the local chapter of the American Cancer Society at 866-7102 to register and request their T-shirt size. Families are encouraged to attend.
The American Cancer Society Relay For Life Luminaria Ceremony remembers those lost to cancer and honors cancer survivors in Linn County. Individuals or companies can make contributions and light a luminaria at the event. Each dedicated luminaria will be displayed at the Relay For Life event held at Kirkwood Community College. Luminaria contributions can be made by calling the American Cancer Society, 800-ACS-2345 or locally at 866-7102.
Relay For Life will be held in eastern Iowa communities as follows:
· Relay For Life of Linn County – June 13-14, 7 pm to 9 am at Kirkwood Community College
· Relay For Life of Johnson County – June 20 – 21, 7 pm to 7 am at S.T. Morrison Park, Coralville
· Relay For Life of University of Iowa – April 18 – 19, 6 pm to 6 am, The Recreation Center
· Relay For Life of Cornell College – May 16 – 17, 8 pm to 7 am, Small Sports Center, Mount Vernon
· Relay For Life of Cedar County – June 8 – 9, 6 pm to 6 am, Tipton City Park
· Relay For Life of Jones County – June 6 – 7, 6 pm to 6 am, Monticello High School Track
· Relay For Life of Delaware – June 27 – 28, 6 pm to 6 am, Delaware County Fairgrounds
For more information, contact the American Cancer Society at 800-ACS-2345 or visit www.RelayForLife.org.