The Cedar Rapids Downtown District and Freedom Festival are presenting this year’s Fire & Ice Festival on Saturday December 6.
Things to note for this year include a new parade route, free carriage rides, children’s train rides, huge balloons in the parade, and much more!
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
- Grounds for Art-Re-Launch (throughout Downtown)
- Grounds for Art will be back and on display throughout downtown!
- Re-visit these amazing outdoor sculptures representing both local and national artists!
- Ice Sculpture Design (Bankers Trust Plaza)
Starting at 2PM
- Deck the Office! Back to Business Holiday Expo (throughout Downtown)
Visit those hard working businesses that have returned downtown post-flood. Participating businesses will greet visitors with holiday décor and fun activities for all ages! Schedule of participating businesses will be available at Chili Challenge and downtown coffee shops. To register your downtown business contact Jill Wilkins at 398-0449.
- Children’s Holiday Train Rides (Guaranty Bank 2nd Ave. SE Parking Lot)
- Free Carriage Rides through Downtown (Bankers Trust Plaza)
- Chili Challenge (Armstrong Centre Food Court 222 3rd Avenue SE)
Enjoy some friendly competition and local flavor as contestants offer their favorite chili dish! Santa will be on site to say hello!
- Hot Air Balloon Glow (3rd Avenue SE Guaranty Bank Parking Lot)
- Lighting of City Tree (May’s Island)
The annual lighting of the city tree will set the tone for the lighted holiday evening!
- 25th Annual Holiday DeLight Parade (3rd Avenue SW into Greene Square Park)
“IgNight the Spirit of our City” is the theme for our annual lighted parade! Cheer on local businesses, organizations, and individuals as they display their best lighted holiday décor!
This year will introduce a new parade route-starting along 3rd Avenue SW with a lateral route into 3rd Avenue SE to Greene Square Park. Wheelchair accessible viewing area will be set up by the judges viewing area (corner of 3rd Ave. and 1st St. SE in front of Smulekoff’s).
- Santa and Friends Meet and Greet (Smulekoff’s 97 3rd Avenue SE)
The head honcho himself, along with Mrs. Claus, elves, and live reindeer will be on site to gather those holiday wish lists!
- Post-Parade Fireworks (May’s Island)
Watch in awe as we light up the sky while listening to some classic holiday tunes!
Starting at 7:30PM
- Ugly Holiday Sweater Party-hosted by Access Iowa (Brick’s Bar and Grill 320 2nd Avenue SE) Time to bust out your holiday best! Join Access Iowa post parade and warm up with some holiday cheer at Bricks!
For more information on this event visit these links: